- The Leviathan and the Fox. This is a brilliant adaptation of the global folktale best known as the story of The Monkey's Heart, often told about a monkey and a crocodile, although all different kinds of animal characters can be substitute, as here with Fox (the trickster) and Leviathan (sea beast)
- The Case of the Boiled Egg. This is a European (and beyond?) story about someone claiming future fortune lost because of the destruction of an egg (it can also be told about livestock, etc.). It is set up here as a story of King David and his young son Solomon as the puzzle-solver.
- Last Wish. Another widely known story about letting a condemned man choose how he wants to die, so he chooses old age. This version features a jester in the court of the Babylonian king.
- The Liar at the Gate. A well known Middle Eastern (and beyond) paradoxical fable about a king vows to hang any man who lies. This version is set in Morocco.
- The Princess in the Mirror. Famous dilemma tale with flying carpet, magical mirror, and healing apple (from Garden of Eden no less!). The princess chooses the suitor with the apple because the apple could be used only once, and he used it for her.
- One-Legged Goose. This famous story is told of Hershel of Ostropol.
- Botched Riddle. This takes the riddle, "I am my father's son, but I am not my brother," and has the fools of Chelm botch the answer.
- Even My Coachman. A story about the coachman pretending to be a wise man.
- (The Man Who Was a Rooster. Not exactly a puzzle story, although I really like it: you can act like a man and still be a rooster!)
- Sukkah. A clever modern story about a judicial decision that satisfies both parties by allowing a long term for the sentence to be carried out: as long as the holiday!
- Bird in the Hand. I was amazed to see this old Aesop's fable told about Hitler youth persecuting a Jewish man (but apparently this is an invention by Jaffe and Zeitlin; it doesn't look like this was the way the story was told to them).
Thursday, June 11, 2026
More Puzzle Stories from the Jewish Tradition
I picked out my favorite story from While Standing on One Foot: Puzzle Stories and Wisdom Tales From the Jewish Tradition by Nina Jaffe and Steve Zeitlin (available for borrowing at the Internet Archive) and wrote up my version: The Rabbi and the Grand Inquisitor. I'm going to limit my readers theater this summer to one piece at most per book, but I wanted to note here some of the other stories that I really liked in this particular book:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are limited to Google accounts only (to reduce spam).