Thursday, May 28, 2026

Puella in Sella, again.

I was thinking about my "Puella in Sella" rhyme and wanted to give it more of a sense of ending, so I decided to add a happy ending (new part in bold):

Olim bella puélla
Residébat in sella;
Dórmitat mox, óscitans.

Nunc colúbra advénit.
Et iam sellam ascéndit!
Puélla salit, clámitans.

Noli, inquit, stridére!
Potes tute sedére:
Salúto te; nunc ábeo.

Puélla subrísit
et laetíssima dixit:
Amícam novam habeo!

Literal English, with the Latin side by side:

Once a pretty girl
    Quondam bella puella
Was sitting in her chair,
    Residebat in sella,
And soon she dozes, yawning.
    Et mox dormitat, oscitans.

Then a snake came,
    Tunc colubra advenit
And now it is climbing the chair!
    Et iam sellam ascendit!
The girl jumps up, shrieking.
    Puella salit, clámitans.

The snake says: Don't shriek!
    Noli, inquit, stridére!
You can sit safely:
    Potes tute sedére:
I salute you; now I'm going away.
    Salúto te; nunc ábeo.

The girl then smiled
    Puélla subrísit
and very happily said:
    et laetíssima dixit:
I have a new friend!
    Amícam novam habeo!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts only (to reduce spam).